Scope of Application:
JDFD is a Fitness and Dance Company providing educational and recreational Fitness and Dance classes for children and young people aged from 2 1⁄2 - 17 and Adults from 18 upwards.
We run a range of classes in schools & community settings during term time and occasionally during the school holidays. Much of our work takes place during the school day delivering Curriculum Dance where we are also required to adhere to the individual schools’ safeguarding policies.
Our teachers work on a freelance basis and we have a part time administrator.
Our ethos is to provide an encouraging, inclusive and happy environment where a lifelong love of Movement, Exercise & Dance can be fostered and nurtured, building confidence, fitness and a social network.
We believe that every child, young person, or adult should be valued, safe and happy. We recognise their personal dignity and rights to be treated with respect, to be listened to and to be protected from all forms of abuse and discrimination.
We recognise that we all have a responsibility to help prevent the neglect, physical, sexual and emotional abuse of children, young people and adults. We are committed to practise in a way that protects them.
Our Safeguarding Policy:
This policy applies to all teachers, volunteers and administrative staff, or anyone working on behalf of JDFD.
The purpose of this policy:
- To protect children and young people who attend JDFD classes
- To protect adults who attend JDFD classes
- To protect teachers and volunteers and provide them with the principles that guide our approach to safeguarding and child protection
We recognise that:
- The welfare of the child is paramount
- All children, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity, have a right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse
- Some children are additionally vulnerable because of the impact of previous experiences
We will seek to keep participants safe by:
- Valuing them, listening to and respecting them
- Appointing a designated Lead Safeguarder for children and young people and a deputy
- Adopting child protection and safeguarding practices as set out in the Sports Coach UK guidelines
- When recruiting teachers ensuring the necessary checks are made
- Recording and storing information professionally and safely.
- Keeping up to date health and consent forms for all participants and renewing annually each September (or when a child joins if mid academic year)
- Keeping registers for all classes
- Ensuring our venues are safe and fit for purpose
- By creating classes at the right level for the participant and with adaptations to ensure full inclusivity for all
- Having sign in and out procedures for all rehearsals and performances
- Creating an anti-bullying environment
- Ensuring a safe physical environment by keeping and regularly updating Risk Assessments on all our venues.
- Having a Health and Safety policy.
- Ensuring our teachers hold up to date First Aid and Safeguarding Certificates (Sports Coach UK)
- and are appropriately insured.